More and more people are discovering the secret of oil pulling. Not only does it improve your general oral and dental health, but it can easily be made part of your teeth whitening routine, and best of all, it’s all completely natural.
Evidence suggests that people have been oil pulling for over 3,000 years. When we use traditional “anti-bacterial” mouthwash, we end up killing almost all of the bacteria in the mouth, good and bad.
This can lead to problems further down the line when bad bacteria might take advantage of the lack of good bacteria in the mouth that would usually be there to fight them and win the day! Studies have shown that oil pulling helps to decrease plaque build-up and plaque-induced gingivitis and as well as supporting overall gum health. It does all of this without washing out all of the good bacteria which is so vital to your oral health.
Watch This Video on how to Oil Pull ……………
What is Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil is the processes by which oil is extracted and separated from other parts of the coconut, but most manufacturers either press the meat of the coconut (that’s the part you eat) or it goes through a wet milling process.
The oil is extracted, separated, and packaged for use or sale all over the world, thanks to the tropical countries where they coconuts grow in abundance.
Before I show you how to do oil pulling, let’s take a quick look at the Coconut Oil Health Benefits
Coconut oil pulling has many benefits, it
- Heals bleeding gums
- Prevents heart disease
- Kills bad breath
- Reduces inflammation
- Helps tooth decay
- Whitens teeth
- Soothes throat dryness
- Prevents cavities
- Heals cracked lips
- Strengthens gums and jaw
How do you do coconut oil pulling for beginners?
Oil pulling means you swish oil in your mouth for 20 minutes a day (typically first thing in the morning and typically people use cold pressed coconut oil). Put a teaspoon of coconut oil into your mouth. Swish it around the mouth and “pull” it by sucking it between teeth. Then spit it out after 20 minutes preferably in the garbage as coconut oil can clog your drain. Then rinse your mouth out with warm water. After that, brush your teeth as normal. Most people claim its best to do it first thing in the morning but it can be done just before bedtime.
Taking the right amount of oil is really important. If it’s less, it will not benefit as much. If it is more, it will spill out of your mouth. Try to keep it approximately equal to 1 tablespoon.
So what are the best benefits of Coconut Pulling?
Here are the best Health Benefits of Oil Pulling –
- Users can feel Plaque starting to fall off their teeth and their teeth can look whiter.
- There is a sense that gums look healthier and if you suffer from bleeding gums it can help.
- People claim they sleep better after oil pulling.
- One of the entry points for germs in your body is through mouth. If you keep it clean and cleanse it every morning, it will keep your body clean in turn. Oil pulling can remove the toxins before they enter your body, thus avoiding them to cause infection. If your body is not fighting infections you will feel more energetic. This means more energy for other functions and feeling better in general.
- Oil pulling is very effective in eradicating the need of tooth cavities. It removes Streptococcus mutant bacteria, which is responsible for tooth decay.
- Oil pulling can help you with the problem of bad breath. This is because it flushes out the smell causing bacteria from your mouth.
- Overall People feel their mouths are way cleaner. Oil pulling is almost like a high powered car wash.
Lastly here are a few tips on oil pulling
Traditionally, sesame oil was used or even sunflower oil. However Coconut oil seems to have the best effect.
Start by swishing for 5 minutes and gradually increase the time to reach 20 minutes. If you take it too hard in the beginning only, your jaws may start aching.
Oil pulling is only a supplemental remedy. It is not meant to replace your routine brushing and flossing.
Oil pulling can be harmful if you don’t choose a high-quality, organic oil that is manufactured well.
By the way it’s safe to use when pregnant but its best not to use it on children. And if you prefer oil pulling before you go to bed that’s fine as well
So all that’s left to say is to get swishing!